Players: Erik, Kyle
BALRIGHT PASS, CRIS MOUNTAINS
NEW AVALON, FEDERATED SUNS
21 MARCH 3068
Commander Fields, you did some good work with shutting down the Robes in Balright Pass. Turns out they were the better part of the 36th Word of Blake Militia Division recon Level III, led by Demi-Precentor Irene MacInernay herself. She got away, but some of the prisoners you took talked, and that Level III looks like the vanguard of a major assault by the 36th and what’s left of the 31st Divisions towards Avalon City.
You’re what I’ve got in the area, so I need you to scout into the pass, give me an idea of what’s coming at us. I can give you some support elements, but the bulk of the 3rd Davion Guards is setting up defensive positions for the coming assault.
Commander, I hate to stick you out on a limb like this, but we’ve got to know what’s coming at us.
Colonel Jena Davion-Bath, XO, 3rd Davion Guards
- River Valley (MS2)
- Woodland (MS6)
The Attacker consisted of elements of Deadspace Anomaly with support from the 3rd Davion Guards, and included:
- GHR-6K Grasshopper (Larry, 4/5) (blue/grey Grasshopper mini)
- WHM-7M Warhammer (Kyle, 2/3) (10th Lyran Warhammer mini)
- CTF-4L Cataphract (Curly, 4/5) (proxy: blue/gray Jagermech mini)
- Pegasus Hover Scout Tank (4/5) (proxy: 10th Lyran Maxim mini)
- OW-1C Owens (4/5) (proxy: red Jenner mini)
The attacker entered from the east edge.
The Defender consisted of elements of the 36th Division (Purity of Thought IV-Kappa), including:
- HGN-732 Highlander (4/5) (proxy: jade Cyclops mini)
- GRM-R-PR29 Grim Reaper (2/3) (proxy: purple Quickdraw mini)
- CDA-3M Cicada (4/5) (purple Cicada mini)
- Manticore Heavy Tank (3058 upgrade) (4/5) (proxy: 10th Lyran Rommel mini)
- 2 Mechanized (Tracked) Infantry (SRM) Platoons (4, 4)
Defending units started in the middle of the field.
- -100 Incoming: The Attacker may call on a total of 10 rounds of Long Tom artillery fire located 15 mapsheets behind the battlefield (see p. 179, TO). Up to 2 rounds may be called on per turn. The Long Toms may fire standard, Cluster (p. 354, TO), Copperhead (p. 355, TO), or Smoke (p. 356, TO) rounds.
- Identify the Opposition: Successfully scan at least half of the opponent’s force. [SUCCESS]
- Preemptive Strike: Destroy/Cripple at least 25% of the opponent’s force. [SUCCESS]
- Escape! At least half of the player’s force must survive and exit their home edge after 8 turns. [SUCCESS]
- Nemesis: Destroy (not cripple) the designated enemy commander. [SUCCESS]
- Forced Withdrawal: All Word of Blake and Davion Guards units follow the Forced Withdrawal rules.
- Salvage: Salvage is not in effect for this track.
- Scanning: Use the scanning roles (p. 14, Total Chaos)
COURSE OF BATTLE
Deadspace forces successfully ambushed a larger Word of Blake forward element, inflicting severe damage. Though the Deadspace Grasshopper was taken down by a freak small pulse laser hit early in the fighting, and the Warhammer suffered severe damage, all Blakist units were destroyed, thanks to extremely effective cooperation between the attackers and 3rd Davion Guards artillery assets assigned to the mission.
Round 1: Deadspace ’mechs intercept a surprised Blakist convoy.
Round 2: An improbably lucky shot by the WoB Cicada severs the actuators in the Grasshopper’s leg, sending it crashing to the ground. Meanwhile, the Grim Reaper and Manticore trade shots with the Deadspace Warhammer and Cataphract.
(For posterity: the Cicada’s SPL hit on a 12, rolled a 2 for a floating critical to the leg, then a 12 on the critical roll, blowing it off. This may be the most effective small pulse laser shot ever.)
Round 3: Intent on avenging their immobile comrade, the Deadspace Pegasus TAGs the Blakist Cicada, which is hit squarely by a homing round from supporting artillery, then finished off by the Pegasus. Meanwhile, the rest of the Blakist ’mechs savage the Warhammer.
Round 4: Both units of Blakist infantry are destroyed, one by the legless Grasshopper, the other by an extremely effective artillery barrage. Meanwhile, the Warhammer shoots the Grim Reaper in the head with a PPC, but moments later loses its entire arm to fire from the Manticore.
Round 5: The AFFS Owens lases the Manticore with TAG, sealing its doom as two Copperhead rounds obliterate the tank. Meanwhile, the Blakist Highlander trades fire with both Deadspace heavy ’mechs.
Round 6: Another pair of Copperhead rounds hit the Highlander, which is now surrounded by the entire Deadspace force. The Pegasus moves to pick up Kyle from his downed Grasshopper.
[ FOOTAGE CORRUPTED ]
Round 7: The Highlander attempts to perform its signature death from above attack on the Warhammer, but is swatted from the sky by a final pair of Copperhead rounds. The last Blakist ’mech lands on its Gauss rifle, detonating the capacitors and disorienting the pilot. Most Deadspace units are now exfiltrating.
Round 8: Kyle and his Warhammer stand bloodied but triumphant over the corpse of the Blakist Highlander.
The recon mission was a success. The AFFS now knows the direction of a major Word of Blake push through the Cris Mountains. The upcoming fighting can be expected to be intense and brutal.